Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Feedback on Sarcastic Doorman

I took some of my homebrew, the last of the Sarcastic Doorman, to the Homebrewers' Guild meeting last night, and passed it around.  Feedback was actually very positive!  Some of the more experienced hands advised that I should be toning down the rye a bit - I can see what they mean.  After getting quite a bit of advice I'm going to try a batch with half the rye to give myself another reference point, and go from there.

I'm also going to recreate the recipe with light extract rather than dark.  The trouble with dark extract, of course, is that you have no control over the grain bill - it's made from whatever combination of grains the maltster thought was desirable and even if it's the colour you want it may not give you the properties you're looking for.  By going with a very pale extract, you know better what you're getting (pale base malt), and that way all the specialty grains are your own.

I've got a lot on my to-do list after last night, actually, but one thing at a time.

The label got VERY good reviews, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment