Sunday, August 21, 2011

BOTTLING: "Poseur" Wheat-Date Ale



I don't have a lot of pictures this time.  Bottling this much beer solo, I find myself without enough hands to go around as it is, so I didn't really have an opportunity to take any until I was done.

The beer cleared up a lot in secondary.  It's still a little cloudy, I can't easily read text through a glass of it unless it's fairly large, but it's about as clear as my buckwheat beer was now, and actually more or less the same colour.  It'll be less carbonated - I meant to add a little more priming sugar but I forgot to measure it out - but hopefully because of the wheat the head will be comparable.  I'm not sure what the actual percentage of wheat is in the grain bill for the Brewhouse American Wheat kit, though.



The flavour's evolved a lot in the last two weeks.  The banana esters seem to have mellowed, although that may just be because the flavours from the oak have really covered it up.  The oak was certainly effective, lending all the flavours for which it is known (including, unmistakably, the leather). It's a bit of an odd duck, not to any particular style, but I like it.



Anyway, I've got two Tap-a-Draft bottles and about 21 bottles (mostly 12oz, but a few larger ones) in the closet now, carbing away.  The temperature is good, so if it doesn't cool off dramatically in the next two weeks it should be ready to drink in time for me to take some to the first Homebrewer's Guild meeting in September.

(The full label will be revealed after I've got around to printing them up and attaching them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment