Saturday, May 01, 2010

Bottling

Bockenale is bottled and carbonating now - I hope it's carbonating, anyway, time will tell.

The red colour has mellowed - you can really only see the red if you hold it up to the light, now - and the cidery acidity is gone, but it's still cloudy, and I think there's a hint of diacetyl.  That last is a little unexpected given the warm (for the yeast I used) fermentation temperatures and extra week in the secondary, but it's very subtle.  It could actually just be the vanilla.  You can't really taste the tarragon at all, I'd have to be doing a proper boil to make better use of it.  The end result is very smooth and pleasant, anyway (having a small uncarbonated glass before I wash up), and being more of an ale drinker I couldn't really give a toss about the clarity so I'm pretty pleased overall.  It is damn hard to make bad beer with one of these kits.

The more unexpected thing is that I seem to have gotten the gravity wrong in one of my earlier measurements, as it's now reading about 1.015 at 72F (before adding the priming sugar) which certainly doesn't correct to 1.01 at 60F.  Assuming my original gravity reading was correct, by no means a given, that brings the beer down to about 6.5% ABV, though if as I suspect my OG was also ~.005 low then the ABV is pretty much unchanged.

In other news, this is going to turn from a beer blog back into the writing blog I meant it to be over the next couple of weeks.  At least until carbonation is finished a week or so after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment