Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Rack: Sarcastic Doorman

So I've finally gotten around to racking the Sarcastic Doorman tonight, after eleven days in the primary - a record for me, though nothing extraordinary really.  Lots of homebrewers leave things in the primary for a few weeks or more.

I appear, like my last batch, to have lost some volume - I'm down to an estimated three and a half liters, judging by how far it fills my little carboy.

I prefer to think of it as mostly full rather than a little bit empty.

If it were four liters exactly, it would be right up to the bottom of the neck, I think.  Which is where it should be - you don't want much headspace in the secondary fermenter.  I'll live with it this time, and I suppose in future I can beef up the batch size to account for possible losses?

As with my last batch, I'm not totally clear on where the missing volume went.  It obviously wasn't evaporation.  That dense, creamy krausen eventually turned espresso-brown and settled.  I certainly didn't leave that much liquid behind when I was racking (I favour disturbing my sediment a little over missing any of my beer).  I don't think I've been sleepwalking into the cupboard and drinking it with a straw.  I'm at a loss.

It smells excellent, anyway.  I didn't take a gravity reading or taste any, I'm trying to preserve as much of it for bottling as possible, but I have high hopes!

No comments:

Post a Comment