Tuesday, December 07, 2010

What's This? (Sarcastic Doorman)

My krausen, rather than falling back into the brew as would traditionally be expected, instead seems to have condensed into a half-inch thick layer of super-dense mottled foam over the entire surface of the beer, and doesn't look inclined to go anywhere soon.  I have never seen or read about anything like this before.  Do I just try to rack through it?  I don't want to skim it off, because on such a small batch even foam constitutes a significant part of the volume...











Next time I do a small batch, I'll invest in an anti-foaming agent and sidestep this whole issue, I think.

UPDATE: Further reading indicates I've just chosen a yeast that's going to work a bit slowly given the low temperature in my brewing closet, despite the massive over-pitching.  I'm going to give it about a week to see if the krausen falls, and if not, I'll check the gravity and probably just rack out from under it; I'm sure it will be fully fermented by that time, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment