Thursday, November 15, 2012

Spent Grain Meatballs

I think I've found a recipe for the Homebrewers' Guild potluck this year.

Ingredients:

  • ~600g lean ground pork
  • 2-3 teaspoons of dry tarragon
  • 1 1/2 cups spent grains
  • salt & pepper to taste
Grains left from making a dark beer, like my own Sarcastic Doorman, are preferred.  (Recipe for the latest batch of Sarcastic Doorman this weekend sometime, maybe.)


  1. Run half of your grains through the food processor for a while.  They don't have to be smooth, just mushed-up a bit.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands.
  3. Roll into 4 - 6cm diameter balls.
  4. Arrange balls evenly in a low baking dish which can be covered with foil.  Cover with foil.
  5. Bake in a 190C oven for 15 minutes.
  6. Remove foil, turn balls over carefully with tongs.
  7. Bake 15 minutes longer, un-covered.
They're pretty great!  Somebody who prepares meat more often than me might improve on the cooking times, maybe, but I'm comfortable with them as is.

Oh, yeah...  And I did stand-up on Monday for the first time.  That was also pretty successful, so I'll probably be doing both these things more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment