Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Blood Orange Bacon

Started curing some blood-orange bacon today.  Recipe as follows:

  1. Pork Belly - ~1.24kg
  2. TenderQuick - 31g
  3. Brown Sugar - 86.8g
  4. Malt Syrup - 71.8g
  5. Ground Cinnamon - 9g
  6. Blood Orange Zest - 14.6g (4 oranges)
This is modified from the bacon recipe I learned at Charcuterie 101 from Shovel and Fork - the biggest change, or at least the one that worries me, is subbing TenderQuick for the basic cure we used that day; I've done my homework and the ratios should be about the same, though.  Anyway, I'll let it cure for a week, and then tea-smoke it (over oolong - worked great for my first batch).

I've also got some beer mustard going, using De Ranke XX Bitter: about 250g of mustard seeds, 3:2 black to yellow, with ~1 1/4 cups of beer and a bit less than 1/2 a cup of malt vinegar.  I think that's a bit too much liquid, actually, but I'll be adding a few more things after the seeds have soaked for a bit and it should work out.

And I pulled my cheese out of the "cave" (read: box in my fridge) and wrapped it.  Mold looks pretty good, smells good, I think these are going to work!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you also make mustard. Sounds great though.

    ReplyDelete