Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Racking to Secondary

Today I transfered my beer-to-be from the sealed bucket to the carboy; in brewing talk, this is racking from the primary to secondary fermenter.  The primary fermenter was seriously threatening to explode, so it's a good thing I got to it.

I measured the specific gravity before siphoning; down to 1.020 from 1.050, right on target.  I also tried a little sip - it actually tastes pretty good already, very promising.  Given that I'm going to end up with twenty-three liters of the stuff, I really want it to be alright...

I'm slowly accumulating more equipment - I've got a hose that connects to my sink, now, to help with the cleaning (washing stuff in the shower wasn't super convenient), a little ladle to take the samples for testing, and a few other things.  Two kinds of sterilizer, sanitation is very important.  I feel like by the end of this batch I'll have a pretty good handle on things; what I need next, probably, is a platform so I don't have to move the fermenter to transfer out of it stirring up the sediment.  I'll have to see what I can come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment