Saturday, July 30, 2011

BREW DAY: Oaked Date-Wheat Ale

(Clever name TBD.)

Yet another disaster!  If I didn't drink so much I might start to get discouraged.

Actually, today wasn't so bad really, the usual spills and so on, but I did manage to break my hydrometer (this happens to every home brewer eventually), so I have:

  1. No way to confirm the starting gravity of my beer, and:
  2. Tiny pieces pieces of very thin broken glass in the bottom of my shower.

I also managed to cut my thumb, but I don't know if it was on the glass from the hydrometer or not.

Anyway, the beer itself!  I picked up a 450ml jar of pure concentrated date juice from the Italian Center little while ago, and I decided to combine it with a Brewhouse Prairie Wheat kit.  Based on some pretty much unfounded estimates of the extract value of the date juice, I calculated a starting gravity of about 1.052, not that much higher than the ~1.046 expected from the unaltered kit.  With the Safale US-05 yeast, I'm expecting to wind up with something around 5.2% which isn't bad for a nice drinkable summer beer, and I think the date flavour will be subtle but detectable.

Once it's fermented about a week or so, I'm planning to rack it on top of the very dark-roasted Hungarian oak chips I mentioned in a previous entry and give it a month or so on those.  So my nice summery beer should be ready just in time for fall.

I'll rewrite this post with pictures, once again, after I get the technology to get them off my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment