Monday, July 11, 2011

HIGH KRAUSEN: Sarcastic Doorman (Juniper)



It's a nice, big, healthy looking krausen (the biggest I've yet had in fact), so despite any irregularities yesterday, the yeast appears to have taken off.  You can see some bits of juniper berry that have been lifted up on top of the krausen there; as I do not skim my krausen off, these will fall back into the fermenting beer eventually and hopefully a little further flavour or aroma may be extracted once there's a bit of ethanol present.

It's a good sign!

EDIT 2011/07/12: If you expand that picture, you can see the 20 liter mark on the scale on the bucket.  The top of the krausen is about four lines below that (it's actually higher in the middle, but hard to measure how much), putting it around the 16 liter mark, while the top of the wort only came up to the 12 liter mark.  That means something over 4 liters of krausen on a 12 liter batch.  Like I said, the biggest I've had yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment