Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Juniper Berries

Technically, they're not berries. They're more closely related to pine cones -
if you look very, very closely at one you may be able to see the scales.
It's not easy to find good information about brewing with juniper berries. You'll find some vague, folklorish stories about sahti (a Finnish beer made with rye, juniper, and bread yeast), and quite a lot of people saying they've done it and either liked or hated it, but little in the way of hard and fast data about what they did.  Google the subject, and you'll find a lot of message board threads where people recommend googling it.

I based the juniper addition to Sarcastic Doorman on the most substantive Internet folklore and guesswork I could find, but I'm starting to think I was misled. Further research turned up... Well, very little, but I did find this recipe for a juniper porter that makes me think, after doing some hasty conversions and a bit more guesswork (it's just stupid that there are two totally different "gallons"), I could have used a little more.

I'm going to be splitting the batch in half for the secondary, just for reasons of capacity.  I'm thinking "dry hopping" with another couple of grams in each, at least, wouldn't be a bad idea.  It's not going into secondary for a couple of weeks, though, probably, so I'm writing this post as a reminder note to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment